Are you a Carer?
A Carer is someone who, without payment, provides care and support to a partner, disabled child, relative, friend or neighbour who could not manage without their help. You may help with their personal care, provide emotional or practical support or just ensure they are safe and coping. You many often feel isolated, overwhelmed and undervalued and as a carer YOU ARE IMPORTANT.
Who are we?
Durham County Carers Support is a registered Charity and Company Limited by Guarantee. We are a voluntary organisation that provides free high quality services and support to unpaid Carers over the age of 18 who support someone living the County Durham area.
What do we do?
We work closely with Durham County Council and for more information on the range of services they provide for Carers in County Durham please visit www.durhamcarers.info and for parent carers www.durham.gov.uk/childrensnetwork
What is Carer Support?
One to one support – advice and information to anyone caring for someone who lives in County Durham. Our service is confidential, non-judgemental and impartial. Our Carer Support Co-ordinators can offer you a home visit, to meet up at one of our local resource bases or somewhere else. We can offer telephone or email contact if that suits you better. The first visit is an opportunity for you to get to know about the services out there for you and the person you care for and for us to find out about your caring role. This will help us to understand and support you now and in the future. Our aim is to ensure you have all the information and advice you need to make the choices you need to.
Durham County Carers Support can provide:
• Someone to listen and share how things are going
• Help with gaining Carer related benefits
• Support to fill in forms, gain grants and other funding
• Support at meetings to ensure your views are heard
• Advice and support to improve your health and wellbeing
• Courses and training
• Opportunities to meet other Carers for peer support
• Opportunities to influence this organisation and the development of public sector services for you and the person you care for
• Access to funding to take a break
• Planning for the future and support for emergencies
30 Edgar Grove
Chester Le Street
Chester Le Street
Suite 3 Avenue House